Free SSL Certificates for Everyone
LibyanSpider is proud to announce it started offering free SSL certificates on top of it’s Web Solutions as part of the initiative to enhance web security.
We want every person and web site, no matter their size or skill, to reap the benefits of HTTPS. “Let’s Encrypt” will dramatically reduce the technical barriers to implementing HTTPS on a broad scale.
What is HTTPS?
Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to.The ‘S’ at the end of HTTPS stands for ‘Secure’. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted.
What is a HTTPS\SSL Certificate?
When you request a HTTPS connection to a webpage, the website will initially send its SSL certificate to your browser. This certificate contains the public key needed to begin the secure session. Based on this initial exchange, your browser and the website then initiate the ‘SSL handshake’. The SSL handshake involves the generation of shared secrets to establish a uniquely secure connection between yourself and the website.
As a website owner, if you want to turn that icon on and enable encryption, you’ll need obtain a secure certificate from a trusted party that’s been authorized to issue them. And, like a lot of things on the Internet designed to make your life better, you’d need to pay a recurring fee for it. Certificates can be purchased from a few different places online. This now has changed with the introduction of “Let’s Encrypt”.
What is “Let’s Encrypt” Service?
Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA), run for the public’s benefit. Let’s Encrypt is a service provided by the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG).
The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.
How does it work?
LibyanSpider has integrated automated certificate management as part of it’s control panel system (cPanel), Shared hosting customers on Linux platform will be able to issue and manage Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates from their cPanel. For a step-by-step guide on how to manage Let’s Encrypt certificates in cPanel please check this knowledge base article.
At the moment. Let’s Encrypt certificates are not available for Shared hosting customers on Windows Platform.
Dedicated, VPS, and Cloud Customers can request Let’s Encrypt certificates by opening a support ticket from the client area.