What is FTP protocol?
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used to transfer files from a server to a client and vice-versa. To learn more about FTP please check this article.
To connect to your website using FTP, First you need to:
After creating an FTP account and downloading your preferred FTP client follow this guide to connect to your website.
We will be using FileZilla for this guide, it’s free, flexible and cross-platform.
Run FileZilla, then follow these steps:
- Click Open the Site Manager button.
- Click New Site to make a new site.
- Enter your website IP or Domain.
- Change the Encryption to Only use plain FTP(insecure).
- Change your Logon Type to: “ask for password”, which will prompt you to enter your password after you click connect (step 7).
- Enter the username of your FTP account.
- Once you are ready to initiate the connection, click Connect.
After establishing the FTP connection, your Remote site (website) folders and files will be listed to the right side and your Local site (computer) folders and files will be listed to your left.
To learn how to upload and download file to from your website check the article How do I manage my website using FTP?