Switching from POP3 to IMAP can be done by transferring messages on POP3 email account folders to IMAP email account folders. This article will explain how to do this procedure in iPhone/iPad devices.
This link explains the differences between POP3 and IMAP.
First Step: Creating a new IMAP account
Recreate your email account using IMAP on your device as it is explained on this article. (Use the same email account you configure as POP3)
Second Step: Move emails from POP3 account to IMAP
- Open ‘Mail‘ application.
- Select a folder under your old POP3 account.
- Select ‘Edit‘ on upper right.
- Tap emails you want to transfer.
- Select ‘Move‘.
- The folder list is now on the screen. Select ‘< Accounts‘ to go back to the Accounts list.
- Select your new IMAP account.
- Tap the folder you would like to transfer your emails to.
- Repeat steps from 2 to 8 for all other folders.
Step Three: Disable/Delete Old POP3 Account
Once you finish moving all your emails to your IMAP account, you can now disable or delete your POP3 email account from your device.
The following steps explain how to do that:
- Go to ‘Settings‘.
- Tap ‘Accounts & Passwords‘.
- Tap the old POP3 account you want to disable/delete.
- Disable/delete your old POP3 account,
- To Disable your old POP3 account, toggle account off.
- To delete your old POP3 account, tap ‘Delete Account‘ at the bottom.