If you use Outlook to check and manage your email, you can easily use it to check your Google account as well. Also you can set up your account to allow you to synchronize email across multiple machines using email clients instead of a browser.
We will show you how to use IMAP in your account so you can synchronize your Google account across multiple machines, and then how to add your account to Outlook.
1. To setup your account to use IMAP, first Click Here to sign in to your Google account.
2. Go to Mail.
3. Click the Settings button in the upper, right corner of the window and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
4. On the Settings screen, click Forwarding and POP/IMAP and select Enable IMAP then click on Save Changes.
5. Close your browser and open Outlook. To begin adding your google account, click the File tab then Add Account.
6. Select Manual configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.
7. On the Choose Service screen, select Internet E-mail to use IMAP protocol and click Next.
8. On the IMAP Account Settings enter the User, Server, and Logon Information. For the Server Information, select IMAP from the Account Type drop-down list and enter the following for the incoming and outgoing server information:
- Incoming mail server: imap.googlemail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.googlemail.com
Make sure you enter your full email address for the User Name and select Remember password if you want Outlook to automatically log you in when checking email. Click More Settings.
9. Click the Outgoing Server tab. Select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and make sure the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option is selected.
10. Click the Advanced tab. Enter the following information:
- Incoming server: 993
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server encrypted connection TLS
- Outgoing server: 587
NOTE: You need to select the type of encrypted connection for the outgoing server before entering 587 for the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number. If you enter the port number first, the port number will revert back to port 25 when you change the type of encrypted connection.
11. Click OK to accept your changes and close the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box.
12. Outlook tests the accounts settings by logging into the incoming mail server and sending a test email message. When the test is finished, click Close.
13. You should see a screen saying “Congratulation, You have successfully entered all the information required to setup your account”. Click Finish.